Fort Worth Drug Paraphernalia Lawyer
Beating a drug charge on your own is nearly impossible, but you don’t have to go it alone. You can get legal help fighting a Fort Worth drug paraphernalia possession charge from the Law Offices of Jeff C. Kennedy.
Being arrested and charged with a drug crime of any kind is scary, no matter what the circumstances are. Even if it’s a first offense, a drug conviction has the potential to shatter your world. The conviction itself will lead to legal penalties, and the non-legal effects can almost be worse.
If you’re convicted of a drug offense, your crime will go on your criminal record for employers and the whole world to see. You may struggle to secure a good job, your family life will be affected, and you could suffer financially because of the fines you’ll be saddled with.
In addition, you could be placed on community supervision, where your freedom will be taken away, and you’ll endure embarrassment every time your probation officer comes to call. Fortunately, you can avoid all of the negative consequences of a drug conviction by working with a Fort Worth drug paraphernalia lawyer.
The Legal Consequences of a Drug Paraphernalia Conviction
Many people don’t have any idea about the legal penalties associated with a drug-related conviction. They assume that possession of a small amount of drugs or drug paraphernalia isn’t a big deal, and they’ll receive a “slap on the wrist.” Well, we live in Texas, and this state takes drug crimes very seriously.
You will be facing some pretty major legal penalties if you are found guilty of the paraphernalia charge against you in Fort Worth:
- Misdemeanor drug paraphernalia charges like possession and possession with intent to sell can result in up to a year in jail and a fine up to $4,000.
- Felony drug paraphernalia charges—for selling paraphernalia to someone younger than eighteen, for instance—could result in up to two years in state jail and fines up to $10,000.
Whether you’re facing a misdemeanor or a felony will depend on the circumstances of the case, whether a minor was involved, and your criminal history.
Defenses Against a Drug Paraphernalia Charge
Anyone can be arrested for possession of drug paraphernalia, whether as a stand-alone charge or as an accompaniment to another offense.
Things an arresting officer could perceive as paraphernalia could actually be a regular household item with a non-criminal application—which is part of the reason why you want to make sure you have adequate legal representation if you’ve been arrested.
Some examples of items commonly characterized as drug paraphernalia include:
- Tobacco pipes
- Water bongs
- Chillums and one-hitters
- Rolling papers
- Aluminum foil
- And others
When it comes to finding the correct defense to a drug paraphernalia charge, there’s no such thing as a cookie-cutter defense.
However, there are some common methods of disputing these charges a defense attorney could utilize. Some of the most important include:
- Illegal Search and Seizure – Sometimes, a police search could be conducted improperly. When this happens, an attorney would ask to have that evidence omitted from the record.
- Lack of Probable Cause – If an arresting officer lacked probable cause to make a search, that evidence could be omitted. Lack of probable cause would likely be considered a type of illegal search.
- Entrapment – If you were arrested as part of a sting operation, your attorney could make the case that you were entrapped illegally.
- Drug paraphernalia was not yours, and you were in the wrong place at the wrong time.
- Someone is setting you up or falsely blaming you to get out of trouble.
- There was a mistake of fact.
- You’re a victim of mistaken identity.
- Police made procedural errors.
Regardless of the nature of your drug paraphernalia charges, an experienced attorney could help you put up the best defense possible.
A few possible defenses your drug paraphernalia lawyer in Fort Worth can use are as follows:
Get in Touch with a Fort Worth Drug Paraphernalia Attorney
As you can already see, if you’re charged with possession of drug paraphernalia, a conviction will change your life. You could face jail time, fines, community supervision, embarrassment, loss of employment, and many other consequences that you may not even be able to foresee.
To avoid the major life changes a drug-related conviction will bring you, speak with a Fort Worth drug paraphernalia lawyer who can fight your charges. Attorneys at the Law Offices of Jeff C. Kennedy are ready to start working on your defense today. Call 817-605-1010 or fill out the online contact form at the bottom of this page.